Monday, January 30, 2012

Ohio.

Heyyyy.
Things are going so well this week!!! Things are really picking up at sites and in our area. We don't get a lot of tours at sites because it's too cold but they usually give the tours to us if they come.. I don't know why but I need all the practice I can get :/ It's hard having to remember everything from PMG and also the Kirtland Guide! So much information and not enough memory space. Umm We got 2 new investigators since my last email! We've been going through people who investigated the church a few years ago and it's been really successful so far. C met with Sisters back in 2008. We went to stop by his house and as soon as we got there we read the note that said it was his exwifes house but we went anyways and we set up a return appt so we went back Monday night and had the most amazing lesson ever! We taught the restoration and he just got it and it was so cool! He was supposed to come to church yesterday but wasn't able to. Which was sad but is fine. He can just come next week :] He said once he found out the church was true he would be baptized so pray for him!
Then we were going through more formers and there was a few in this apt complex so we stopped by like 3 with no luck and then the last one was V. She met with Sisters in 2004 so we figured she didn't live there anymore but maybe somebody there would know where she went? We had to call over the intercom thing and a man answered and figured we were nice enough so he let us in to look around. He introduced us to a woman upstairs and she knew V but she left years ago so the lady had to go and then he said he wasn't doing anything so we could come talk to him. His name is A and he realizes something is missing in his life and he committed to read the Book of Mormon and we're meeting with him on Friday to talk about it and invite him to be baptized! He's a single middle aged man so he's perfect for us :P This Friday we're actually going on exchanges so I'm really nervous. Not only do I have to ask A to be baptized with a Sister I've never taught with before but we also have to weekly plan that day so I have to magically know EVERYTHING about our area.. :/ I'm not really looking forward to it but I love Sis B and she's amazing so it makes it less scary. I guess it will be good because chances are really good that I'm training next transfer and will have to do all of this on my own anyways! (We're getting 8 new sisters next transfer!!)
We're still working with less actives and one of them wants nothing to do with coming back to church but we just love her and she fed us last night and we talked about family history and she went and pulled out her folder of her family history and showed us pictures and it was really cool :] I think we're going to try and set up a time to meet with her at the family history center and set up an account on new.familysearch.org! I'm really excited.
So things at sites are going really well! I still don't have the courage to call nonmembers (which I did on accident :/ I called a man from Comm of Christ and once he told me that I FREAKED OUT! But he referred his daughter-in-law so I guess it was good..) so I call a lot of members who have come to sites. Lately we've been going through comment cards from 2010 and I've come across a few really cool cards. First, one was from Sweden.. I'm calling them this week :] Then I called a random lady and didn't think much of it. I just thought it was another card but we got talking and she's from Washington UT so I asked her if she knew anybody from Toquerville and she said she didn't but asked for the last name. I told her it was Hansom and she was like Oh I know the Hansoms!!! I knew Quentin back in Thousand Oaks!" I was like Ehhh?! Her name is Karen Turpin and she was really sweet! So tell Gpa she says hello. Maybe they'll run into each other now. And she also knew one of the senior couples serving here right now! So it was cool to tell them too :] Then the last really cool one I called was Rod Meldrum.. Dad, I know you're super jealous. I didn't know if it was him at first so I was just talking to him and he brought up the research he does so I asked him about it and asked if he had a documentary or something and he said yes so I told him that dad was really into his research and whatever. He was pretty stoked about it so he asked for my name again for when they come back in Oct and I told him. And he was like, "Maynard... Do you have relatives in UT??" Yeahh.. "Oh I know a David Maynard here.." THAT'S MY UNCLE! I didn't know they were friends... But it was really neat and he said the nicest things about Uncle Dave and I may have cried a little on the phone but I don't think he noticed. It was the coolest phone call I've made and I'm really looking forward to when he comes in Oct. I really hope I'm at sites that day but who knows.. That's like 9 months away. I thought you guys would think that was cool.
We get some crazies on chat though.. It's funny because they come on with the silliest questions and we're like okayyy this can't be for real but then they are actually interested! Some really aren't though and we get some funny conversations. I'm printing out the funny ones and I'm going to put them in a binder or something.
In other news. I'm addicted to candy and it's all I eat and I'm also gaining a lot of weight. I'm trying to stop though. I need to.. It's gross. Sister M and I will be singing a duet on the 15 and I'm SO EXCITED! We're singing Beautiful Savior and she's never sang in front of people before ever so I'm excited for her. She never thought she had a good voice but she really does so whenever we practice people say how good she is and it's getting her even more excited :] That's what I've been playing on the piano a lot because I have to play when we practice. And it's one of the guys in the ward's homecoming so there's going to be lots of people there and we're inviting EVERYBODY! :]
I still don't see your mormon.org profiles.. You need to make some! I just changed my picture so check it out. I need to update it too. And you guys should watch the 2012 Mutual Theme Song music video Arise. It's my favorite and I love the message. Isaiah 2:2 and 1 Nephi 17:7. I miss going to the temple so much!!!! I get so jealous when the ward gets to go and I can't but it's okay. There's a lot of work to be done here so it's good.
I love you and miss you all.
Sister Maynard
Ps. Thank you for getting those addresses :] Keep up the good work! And how is your 90 day challenge going? Are you reading the Book of Mormon every night?

No comments:

Post a Comment